There are some great new titles and editions on our shelves. Check out the Great Library’s newest acquisitions.
New Titles – Canada
The Anatomy of Criminal Procedure: A Visual Guide to the Law by Steve Coughlan & Alex Gorlewsk.
KF 9620 .ZA2 C67 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- This useful guide explains each stage of the Canadian criminal process, from search and seizure to appeals, through text and visuals. Fully annotated diagrams and flowcharts clarify the often complicated relationships between individual Criminal Code provisions and the common law rules of criminal procedure.
Apex Courts and the Common Law, edited by Paul Daly.
K 3370 A64 2019 / 1st Floor.
- This collection of articles explores the role that apex (superior) courts have on the development and evolution of systems of common law across the world. By combining core legal concepts and academic scrutiny, this book analyses the unique capacity of high level courts in influencing and directing the legal system through jurisprudence. Furthermore, this work explores how apex courts interpret their own role and purpose and how their creation of a body of judicial decisions contributes to the establishment of overarching and unifying legal principles. The relationship between apex courts and the common law is analysed in the context of human rights, public law and private law.
Attacks on the Rule of Law from Within, edited by Joanna Baron & Maxime St-Hilaire.
KF 4483 .R75 L39 2019 / 1st Floor.
- A collection of six essays presented at the Runnymede Society’s Law & Freedom Conference held at University of Toronto, January 12-13, 2018. The papers examine and debate the doctrine of the rule of law in several contexts including the development of aboriginal law.
Canadian Indigenous Peoples and Criminal Jury Trials: Remediating Inequities by Manarin.
KF 9680 M36 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- In this book, Manarin makes the connection between the overrepresentation of Indigenous Peoples in Canadian prisons to the persistence of a jury selection process which perpetuates rather than dismantles stereotypes and biases that unfairly inform the decisions of adjudicative bodies. While there are many political factors that contribute to the high incarceration rate of Indigenous Peoples in Canada, the author identifies and explores the benefits that a more impartial, diverse and representative jury can have on these rates. With chapters that critique and analyze the role that “peremptory challenge”, “challenge for cause” and the disqualification of jurors because of criminal antecedents have on the production of verdicts, this work offers many solutions and remedies to a criminal justice system which uniquely disadvantages the indigenous Peoples of North America.
Sovereignty, Restraint, & Guidance: Canadian Criminal Law in the 21st Century by Plaxton.
KF 9220 .ZA2 P54 2019 / 1st Floor.
- This book presents a fresh analysis of substantive criminal law in Canada. The author presents an alternative vision based on three theses relating to the courts’ role in statutory interpretation, the presumption of restraint and guidance.
Trees and the law in Canada by Julian A. Dunster.
KF 390.5 .T73 D87 2018 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- Reviewing the legal concepts and case law concerning trees, this books acts as a primer on the intersection between the ownership of trees, boundary issues and the law of negligence and nuisance. The book also explores operational matters concerning municipal, provincial and federal officials, foresters, tree trimmers and fallers, construction contractors and property owners and occupiers. With chapters and sections on the duty of care, the standard of care, liability, trespass, damages and foreseeability, this work informs professionals, practitioners and members of the public of their legal obligation and relationship to trees.
New Titles – U.S.
- How to Train Your Expert: Making Your Client’s Case, by Kole (ABA).
KF 8961 K65 2019 / 1st Floor.
- The Law of Artificial Intelligence and Smart Machines: Understanding A.I. and the Legal Impact, edited by Theodore F. Claypoole (ABA). KF390.5.C6 L39 2019 / 1st Floor.
New Titles – Circulating Collection
- The North-West is Our Mother: The Story of Louis Riel’s People, The Metis Nation by Teillet.
KF 8205 T46 2019 / Circulating Collection, 2nd Floor.
- Truth be Told: An Anthology of Inspirational Stories by Women in the Law, edited by Kirwin et al.
KF 211 T78 2018 / Circulating Collection, 2nd Floor.
Updated Canadian Editions
- Advertising and Marketing Law in Canada, 6th ed., by Pritchard et al.
KF 1614 P75 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- Agriculture Law in Canada, 2nd ed., by Fuller et al.
KF 1682 F85 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- Assessment of Personal Injury Damages, 6th ed., by Bruce et al.
KF 1257 B78 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- Capacity and Undue Influence, 2nd ed., by Poyser.
KF 760 .C3 P69 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- The Definition of Convention Refugee, 2nd ed., by Waldman.
KF 4483 .I5 W342 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- Dental Law in Canada, 3rd ed., by Hadskis, Hutt & McNally.
KF 2910.D3 D46 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- Employment Contracts Handbook, 4th ed., by Elliott & Bernardo.
KF 898 E44 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- Environmental Law: Cases and Materials, 3rd ed., by Doelle & Tollefson.
KF 3775 .ZA2 D634 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- Kindred’s International Law: Chiefly as Interpreted and Applied in Canada, 9th ed., edited by Saunders & Currie.
KZ 3225 I584 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- Law for Professional Engineers: Canadian and Global Insights, 5th ed., by Marston.
KF 2928 M37 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- Legal Accounting, 2nd ed., by Asselin & Nisbet.
KF 320 A87 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- Ontario Estate Administration, 8th ed., by Rintoul.
KF 778 R567 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- The Practitioner’s Guide to Estate Practice in Ontario, 7th ed., by Rintoul.
KF 778 R56 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- Prosecuting and Defending Youth Criminal Justice Cases, 2nd ed., by Jones et al.
KF 9780 .ZA2 J65 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.
- Real Estate Practice in Ontario, 9th ed., by Donahue et al.
KF 570 D66 2019 / Practice Collection, 2nd Floor.