We are often asked how to find assessment decisions – both decisions involving the assessment of costs under Rule 58 of the Ontario Rules of Civil Procedure, and decisions involving the assessment of a lawyer’s account under the Solicitors Act, RSO 1990, c. S.15. Continue reading “Tips for Finding Ontario Costs Assessment Decisions”
Now that spring has arrived and the warm weather is soon to follow, here is a selection of instructional videos to help you brush up and build winning legal research skills.
HeinOnline – HeinOnline’s YouTube Channel
- How to Find an Article in the Law Journal Library. Find a law journal article in 4 easy steps when all you have is the article name and author.
- Enhanced HeinOnline Interface. A quick overview of the new features available on HeinOnline’s enhanced interface.
- Printing & Downloading in HeinOnline
Law Society of Saskatchewan Library – Tutorials
- CanLII Series. Five quick refreshers on searching CanLII from keyword searching to finding legislation.
Law Library of Congress – In Custodia Legis
- Finding Case Law Using Google Scholar. Learn how to use Google Scholar to access free U.S. case law.
Lexis Advance Quicklaw – Training on the Go videos
- Browsing Sources. Learn how to locate sources by category, jurisdiction or title.
- QuickCITE Basics
- QuickCITE Advanced
WestlawNext Canada – Self-Paced Learning
Have you ever needed to search for cases in which a particular lawyer or paralegal acted for one of the parties? You can try entering the legal practitioner’s name in the full-text search box of a case law database. But this search strategy will likely generate more misses than hits, especially with common surnames. Here are some tips for achieving more relevant results. Continue reading “Some counsel on searching case law by counsel”